When we stop and really listen to ourselves, the critic within can be very harsh! To be a good example to our students we need to cultivate the habit of reflecting on our efforts with balance and compassion and encourage the students to do the same.
For instance, when a student is preparing to do something such as give a presentation, speak up in class or attend an interview ask them to review these questions:
- What qualities, skills and experience do I already have that will help me to do this?
- What are my goals?
- How will I know I’m doing OK?
- What are my ‘keeping calm’ strategies?
After the student has completed the task encourage them to ask:
- What did I do well? Be as specific as possible.
- To what extent did I achieve my goals? Was there anything that hindered the outcome?
Mosaic is working in partnership with Karen Tidsall and her team from InterCHANGE People Development to deliver mentor training. Find out more at www.interchangepd.com or call 020 7281 1700.