Mosaic is now recruiting female mentors for the next phase of the primary school mentoring programme.
The programme equips young Muslim girls with the skills to connect education to work at an early age, by bringing in female Muslim mentors from professional backgrounds to act as role models, so that girls can aspire to careers in a range of different sectors.
Mothers of these girls are encouraged to take part in workshops designed to explain how they can get more involved with their daughters’ education and support them throughout their school life and beyond.
Through separate and joint workshops for both girls and their mothers, the Project aims to:
- Engage young girls into education, highlighting its importance for independence
- Encourage the girls’ confidence and self-belief to achieve to their fullest potential
- Inspire the girls to want to become something and their parents to support them
Mothers of the girls learn:
- How to get involved in their daughter’s school work
- The importance of education and the British Education System
- How to give their children time and space at home to study
- Career aspirations
- How they can support their child’s progress in school and in life
- The importance of speaking to their daughters’ about their lives
The course is run weekly over 10 weeks. Mothers’ sessions last for just under two hours and girls’ sessions one hour. Female mentors are encouraged to attend a minimum of 5 sessions with either the mothers or daughters (or both), so that a consistent relationship can be developed.
The upcoming programme (March 2010) will see Mosaic’s mentoring programme extend into the following schools;
Woolmore Primary School. Woolmore Street. Poplar. London. E14 0EW.
Bygrove Primary School. Bygrove Street. Poplar. London. E14 6DN.
Gatton Primary School. Gatton Road. Tooting. London. SW17 0EU.
You don’t need any specific qualifications to be a mentor, but we do look for people that are simply keen, reliable and can communicate well.
If you are interested in inspiring others to realise their talents, we would like to invite you to join our team of likeminded female mentors in joining this unique programme. For more information please email: email@example.com.