Mosaic takes students on visits to a range of employers to expand their horizons and increase their understanding of local employment opportunities. Through these ‘World of Work’ visits we aim to give young people, who will make up the local workforce of the future, a glimpse into the host company’s industry, a local employer and the sheer range of opportunities often available under one roof.
Mosaic’s World of Work (WoW) visits, a core part the Secondary School Group Mentoring Programme, connect local employers from a wide range of industries with young people aged 11-18 years old from deprived areas of the UK.
The visit complements mentoring activities already being delivered to the students and addresses issues of:
- Low motivation
- Lack of goals and ambitions for the future
- Lack of awareness of employment opportunities and local employers
As with all elements of our mentoring programme, we would agree a schedule of activities with the host venue that contribute to increasing the students’ confidence, self-efficacy and employability.
Host companies commit to working with our regional teams to plan a format for a half-day visit to their premises. This would typically include:
- Welcome from someone senior in the organisation
- Overview of the company’s activities
- A tour of the company/office
- A set of interactive activities to bring the company’s work to life. In the past these have included ‘mock trials’ at solicitors such as Lovells LLP, or acting as fraud and audit investigators using case studies at Ernst and Young
- Refreshments, where possible and appropriate
What will your organisation gain from working with us?
Hosting a WOW visit has the following benefits:
- The visits will encourage young people from diverse, often BME communities, to engage with the employer, which is often linked to longer-term strategies of diversifying the workforce.
- Raise your profile
- Brand association: Through working with Mosaic, you are working with one of the UK’s best known mentoring initiatives, at the globally recognised Prince’s Trust charity.
- PR Opportunities: Involvement with Mosaic can create some great PR and marketing opportunities.
- Social Media Expertise: We have an extensive social media reach, with passionate and engaged supporters who share our values. This makes us a great platform for adding a social media marketing element to any world of work visit.
- Our Support network: You will have a dedicated regional Mosaic contact who will look after you from planning right through to delivery.
- Engaging your staff: We recognise the importance of involving employees and hosting world of work visits is a great opportunity for doing just that! The world of work visits provide meaningful and skilled volunteer opportunities for your employees.
- Make a difference: Most importantly you will be instrumental in making a difference to the lives of young people helping raise their confidence and aspirations
Case studies and blog posts
How can your organisation get involved?
You can register your interest in hosting a Mosaic World of Work visit by contacting . Please be sure to quote the region you are based in and include a brief description of your company.
Have you hosted a world of work visit for us before? We would love to hear from you. We are actively seeking contributors amongst you who are willing to share their WOW visit day and can write in an accessible and insightful way. If you are soon to take part in a Mosaic World of Work visit we will have already sent you blogging guidelines but please do get in touch if you have any questions.
Upcoming World of Work visits
Check back soon for new dates.