Job Title: Mosaic West Midlands – Communications Support Intern
Fixed Term: December 2010 – April 2011 (with possible extension)
Department: Mosaic UK
Reports to: West Midlands Regional Manager
Mosaic was founded by HRH The Prince of Wales and convened in November 2007 by Business in the Community, one of the Prince’s Charities, to challenge the growing concern around the issues facing young Muslims living in deprived areas of Britain. Today Mosaic operates nationally in London, the West Midlands, East Midlands, Yorkshire & Humber, and the North West as a set of initiatives championed by Muslims aimed at raising aspirations and providing opportunity. Support is increasingly gathering internationally.
Mosaic works towards a more integrated and thriving society where all individuals, regardless of background, are supported in realizing their potential.
Mosaic’s key concerns, as outlined by its founder, are twofold. Firstly in supporting young Muslims and their peers between the ages of 5 and 25 years old who, through no fault of their own, lack access to opportunities in order to maximize their potential to make a positive contribution to society. Secondly, to address the misunderstanding that has arisen between the Islamic and Western worlds in recent years.
Mosaic’s core aims are:
- To stimulate greater levels of volunteering through a network of partners and, where appropriate, direct delivery
- To nurture and promote talent in Muslim communities, providing positive role models to young Muslims and society
- To promote leadership, teamwork, and civic engagement based on addressing key social issues of social importance in the UK and beyond
The Mosaic West Midlands Communications Support Officer is responsible for supporting the West Midlands Regional Manager in the implementation and delivery of Mosaic communications and PR activities around local delivery, good news stories, events and website maintenance. Working alongside a working group of members from the Regional Leadership group and other supporters you will lead on implementing communications strategies for the region, in liaison with the Regional Manager and national Communications Manager for Mosaic.
Mosaic is about to launch a new website and West Midlands needs a significant, exciting and regularly updated local page.
The post-holder reports to the West Midlands Regional Manager
- To support the Regional Manager in:-
- gathering information for and drafting press releases and media sell in scripts and website content
- drawing up media target lists (West and East Midlands), working with sponsors where relevant
- contacting media by email and telephone to engage in covering local activities
- supporting the Communications Manager in the production of supporting communication materials to promote local activities
- meeting with and accompanying media professionals during events
- maximising coverage of events via planning of photograph, video, and digital media
- Collate and report on any coverage gained about Mosaic West Midlands
- Collate and write good news stories and case studies for the regional pages of our new website
- Maintain the regional pages of the Mosaic West Midlands website and keep them up-to-date, exciting and engaging – so to inform new supporters of our local achievements.
- Work to support Mosaic’s communications channels on behalf of Mosaic West midlands, for example Mosaic Facebook pages
The post holder may be required to carry out other duties that are reasonably to be considered as within the scope and purpose of the job and the aptitudes of the job holder.
This role is to work primarily between home, partner premises in Birmingham and Walsall and the BITC regional office at 83 Bournville Lane, Birmingham, B30 2HP.
We believe this internship offers a valuable and relevant opportunity for those seeking to gain work experience in the media, therefore we would particularly value applicants who can demonstrate a passion for this industry.
For more information or if you would like to apply for this role, please send your CV and Cover Letter to Kim O’Reilly.
Interviews will be held in the w/c December 6.
Tel +44 (0)121 451 2227